The official boxart of the game.
JP October 18, 2018
NA October 19, 2018
EU October 19, 2018
JP October 19, 2018
|Ratings||ESRB: T (Teen)|
|Write a Review!|
Soulcalibur VI (ソウルキャリバーVI, Sourukyaribaa Shikkusu) is the seventh installment in Namco's Soul series of fighting games. It's canon follows that of the Astral Lineage series, as well as it being a reboot of both series'. The game is set for release on October 19th, 2018.
The game began development before 2014. Like Tekken 7, Soulcalibur VI uses Unreal Engine 4. According to Bandai-Namco, Soulcalibur VI will focus more on story elements. According to the game's producer Motohiro Okubo, the game's code name in development was "Luxor" in reference to making the game feel more akin to the first Soulcalibur.
Michael and Rafael will be making their return, though it has yet to be announced what their purpose is.
Kilina Cassaventes (キリナ カッサベンテス, Kirina Kassabentesu) is the younger sister to Kristos and Kisandra, and aunt to Klymene. She returns once again. She goes looking for Soul Edge during the start of her story.
Nightmare (ナイトメア, Naitomea) makes his return in the game. His appearance is an updated version of his Soulcalibur costume. Once again, his original host is that of Siegfried Schtauffen, revealed during Nightmare's armor break.
Kilik (キリク, Kiriku) returns once again using his staff. He seems to suffer from malfestation, being able to turn into a malfested form by using Soul Charge. His costume seems to be a mix of his different appearances.
Valentine "Val" Ra's Al Ghul return was announced as well. Not much is known about his role.
Talon will be returning as a General in the army, though his intentions are not all that they seem.
Siegfried Schtauffen (ジークフリート・シュタウフェン, Jīkufurīto Shutaufen) is the father to Klymene. He returns using his Zweihänder once again. He appears younger and has brand new armor, parts of which come from his former Nightmare's armor.
Klymene Cassaventes (クリュメネーカサヴェテス, Kuryumenēkasavu~etesu) is the daughter of Kisandra and Siegfried, and niece to Kristos and Kilina. She appears as a baby and later a teenager after having aged rapidly. She was raised in Astral Chaos.
Giles (ジャイルズ, Jairuzu) is a brand new character who was orphaned as a baby and taken in by Duchess Aalis, his adoptive mother. He was titled Lord Giles of Caderin until his 18th birthday when he gave up the title after a tragic event during the release of the evil seed. It appears that he has a malfested side.
Four characters are set to appear as DLC after release, one of them being a Season Pass exclusive.
Soulcalibur VI is a retelling of the Soul series. It will take place during the 16th century between the years 1583 and at least 1590, according to a story mode screenshot (although these dates are subject to change). The main story will revolve around the battle between the cursed sword, Soul Edge and the spirit sword, Soul Calibur. It will retell events that occurred during the original Soulcalibur era, with some new additions and changes.
- Soulcalibur VI introduces a brand new feature called Reversal Edge, which can be performed using a single button. This triggers a slow-motion exchange with a single button input from each player, with the outcome decided by a much more complicated version of rock, paper, scissors.
- Armour break makes a return from Soulcalibur IV and Soulcalibur V. It appears to break different sections of armour, as it did in Soulcalibur IV, and it also seems to affect hairstyles.
- Another new game mechanic is called the Lethal Hit, an advanced system where landing certain moves in the right condition will send the opponent flying.
- Guard Impact's make their return into the game, and is free of any gauge cost.
- Critical Edge returns from Soulcalibur V, largely unchanged.
- Soul Charge returns since Soulcalibur III, completely overhauled. It can cause certain characters to transform into different versions of themselves, granting special abilities.
- Just Guard from Soulcalibur V also makes its return to the game. Potential changes to the mechanics are still unknown.
- Story Mode is set to return.
- Two more gameplay modes are set to appear in the game.
- One of these game modes is similar to a second story mode.
- Arcade Mode is set to return.
- Character Creation was confirmed by the director Motohiro Okubo.
The game will feature "Signature 16th century stages". The announced stages are:
- Shrine of Eurydice: Cloud Sanctuary
- Snow-capped Showdown
- Replica Kaer Morhen (Geralt of Rivia's guest character stage)
- Ostrheinsburg Castle: Hall of the Chosen
- Master Swordman's Cave: Azure Horizon
- Indian Port: Impending Storm
- Windswept Plains
- Sunken Desert Ruins
- Cursed Moonlit Woods
- Stages have a time-of-days system where the time-of-day changes during each battle round.
- It will be the first game in the series to be released on PC.
- Additionally, it's the first game in the series to be released on eighth-generation home consoles.